Your place for Minnesota Twins and New Britain Rock Cats coverage, analysis and opinion.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Random Thoughts

1. I have a new job. It requires a lot more work, time, and brain space than the old job did. As a result, I haven't posted here in a few months. And honestly, I don't feel like I've missed that much. As far as I can tell, there was no blockbuster signing, no stud free agent starting pitcher who's now a member of the Twins, and it looks like the Twins will go into 2013 with a payroll between $80-$85 million. So they won't be competing this season.

2. I'm not sold on Chris Parmelee. Sure, there might be many reasons to trade Justin Morneau at some point this season. I'm a fan. He's my favorite player on the Twins, and I don't want to see him leave. Ideally (in my world), he stay another couple seasons past 2013, when the Twins again are competitive. But again, there are likely financial reasons why it might make sense to trade him, and I get it. In my opinion, though, Chris Parmelee is not a reason for the Twins to get rid of Morneau. People are still sold on Parmelee's 2011 September call-up. Yes, he was pretty fantastic. And yes, he was great at AAA last season. But something tells me that he's no heir-apparent to first base for the Twins. Additionally, people forget how great -- and underrated -- of a defender Morneau became. Parmelee is not by any means awful in the field, but he's no Morneau defensively.

3. I will not pay to watch a Twins team that has Darin Mastroianni as its starting center fielder. No offense to Mastroianni. I met him last year at a Rock Cats event, and he's a stand-up, fan friendly guy. But he is no more than a 4th outfielder on a major league team. Further, if this team truly is rebuilding (which it is, notwithstanding the relative silence of the front office on that issue), it makes a lot more sense in my mind to hand the job to Joe Benson or Aaron Hicks, whoever performs better in Spring Training. Let these legitimate prospects figure out the big leagues in a season when it doesn't matter, so that they will be ready to compete when the Twins will be.

4. This might be a tough season for the Rock Cats. It's unlikely that Aaron Hicks, Oswaldo Arcia, Chris Herrmann, and perhaps Chris Colabello, will be returning to New Britain. That's the bulk of the 2012 Rock Cats offense. And pitcher BJ Hermsen is likely headed to Rochester. The best offensive talent in the farm system (Miguel Sano, Eddie Roasrio, etc.), still has some time to go before they are ready for AA, so it could be rough offensively for New Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment