Your place for Minnesota Twins and New Britain Rock Cats coverage, analysis and opinion.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Strange Jersey Sighting at Citi Field

Darin Mastroianni: The Pride of Bedford, NY
I attended a work outing last night, the Mets-Orioles game at Citi Field. It was 94 degrees at game time and a little bit uncomfortable, but the game ended up being good. Citi Field is a nice, new stadium. I prefer Target Field and Camden Yards to Citi Field, but make no mistake -- it's a great place to watch a game. They have plenty of food offerings, a nice open concourse, and -- especially important last night to escape the heat -- a bunch of small clubs inside the stadium.

Our group had upper deck seats behind home plate, and surprisingly these seats allowed admission into the Promenade Club. It's not as nice as the Metropolitan Club, but it had air conditioning and water. I spent the last couple innings of the game there, sitting in comfort and watching essentially on TV. As we were leaving, I walked past a guy in a light colored pinstriped jersey. Of course, I assumed it was a Johan Santana or David Wright or Gary Carter jersey. But I was wrong: this stranger was sporting an authentic, game quality Darin Mastroianni #19 Twins jersey. It turns out this Mets fan was Darin's cousin. Darin is originally from Bedford, NY, and still has family in the area. It was definitely strange to see. I haven't been to Target Field this season yet, but I can't imagine that Mastroianni jerseys have become big sellers! So to see one at Citi Field was shocking enough to prompt me to talk to the guy.

Every now and then you get a reminder of just how small the world really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment